Dundee Utd 0-2 St Johnstone- Match Report

Saints stroll to derby winSt Johnstone comfortably won this Tayside derby 2-0 thanks to Michael O'Halloran's first-half double which made for only Dundee United's second home defeat of the season at Tannadice.Tommy Wright's side were put on their way to victory after forward O'Halloran opened the scoring on 10 minutes when his shot squirmed past United debutant keeper Michal Szromnik, before the 24-year-old notched his second on 44 minutes.It meant a second consecutive Scottish Premiership league defeat for Jackie McNamara's United who hope to bounce back in Tuesday's re-arranged game with Inverness.United were aiming to make amends for last weekend when they went down 3-2 away to Kilmarnock but it was the visitors who threatened first.On nine minutes, David Wotherspoon unleashed a shot from 25 yards which was well saved by Szromnik at the expense of a corner.But Saints were not to be denied and a minute later they went ahead.O'Halloran cut inside from the left and wasted no time in shooting from 22 yards.His effort swerved and took a bounce but despite getting a hand to it, Szrmonik could not keep it out as it found its way into the back of the net.United tried their best to get back on level terms and had a period of pressure soon after.Nadir Ciftci had a shot blocked by Saints defender Frazer Wright, before Ryan McGowan's header from Paul Dixon's in-swinging free-kick went over the bar as the half-hour mark approached.Then, a minute later, Ciftci's volley was deflected off Chris Millar for a corner which Ryan Dow took but for the hosts it came to nothing.But Saints made it 2-0 in 44 minutes when Dave Mackay's cross was met by unmarked O'Halloran whose volley from 10 yards beat Szromnik, even though the Polish keeper again got a hand to his effort.It was the perfect boost for the visiting side going in at the break, while the hosts had everything to do in the second half.Saints made a change with Lee Croft replacing Simon Lappin and Mackay had a shot on 51 minutes which went over Szromnik's bar.United made a double substitution in 57 minutes as Charlie Telfer and Blair Spittal took over from John Rankin and Calum Butcher.However, it was Saints who had the opportunity to go further ahead on 64 minutes.This time Wright laid the ball into the path of Steven MacLean but his left-foot effort went just wide of the target.Soon after, the Perth side were on the attack again when substitute Croft raced down the right and his cross was almost turned into his own goal by McGowan, only for Szromnik to gather a yard out.On 68 minutes, Ciftci came close for United when his shot from inside the box was deflected, forcing Saints keeper Alan Mannus to parry the ball wide for a corner.That gave the hosts a bit of a lift and Paul Dixon tried his luck shortly after but his left-foot effort went past the far post.Still, though, Saints remained in control and successfully saw out the closing stages to pick up three valuable points

Source : PA

Source: PA