Dundee United 0 Rangers 0

Rangers look increasingly unlikely to retain their SPL title after producing an inadequate performance at Tannadice.

Facing a United side which has struggled so far this season, the Ibrox men dominated possession but, in truth, rarely troubled Derek Stillie in the Terrors goal.

In fact United edged the second half on chances and were fully worthy of a point.

With Alex McLeish starting with an attacking formation, it was little surprise that the visitors took the early initiative going close twice in the opening six minutes.

Firstly, the jinking Chris Burke weaved inside to create a chance for Olivier Bernard who blasted a shot well over the bar and then the winger took advantage of a break by Fernando Ricksen to volley just over from the edge of the box.

The pressure continued despite Barry Robson having a sight of goal for the Tangerines in the 12th minute.

Francis Jeffers almost grabbed the lead for the Gers with a looping header over Stillie but Alan Archibald was on hand to clear off the line. Peter Lovenkrands then contrived to miss from two yards out following wonderful byline work from Dado Prso.

After two more chances were wasted by Jeffers, captain Barry Ferguson tried to lead the way in the 37th minute with a fabulous 20-yard curling free-kick which crashed off the post.

It was a poor first half for United but they started better in the second with a David Fernandez slow motion drag almost catching Ronald Waterreus static but fortunately for the keeper it trickled wide. Jim McIntyre then forced the keeper to make a good save from a testing 16-yard strike.

In the 54th minute Robson was on the end of a Peter Canero cross but just failed to give United the lead.

It was Rangers who were decidedly poor in the second period as Stillie was given a quiet time. Six minutes from time, the Terrors hit the bar when Robson dribbled around Wattereus just outside the box but his shot rattled off the head of Julien Rodriguez and onto the bar.

Prso attacked for Rangers and only a daring lunge on the line by Paul Ritchie prevented a certain goal.

It was an afternoon of Rangers frustration and it was completed in the final minute with a red card for Sotirios Kyrgiakos. Following his unnecessary booking for dissent in the first period, he needlessly pushed Collin Samuel giving the referee no option but to raise a second yellow card.